Getting ready for college I decided to make some shea butter before leaving ’cause I don’t know when I’ll be chanced to do so again. So here’s a pictorial of how I made my mix. this is only my second one. this one wasn’t that great though kinda oily. Maybe cause I boiled the shea too much on high and its supposed to be on low or maybe I put too much oils.how do u make yours? I hope the was helpful.
*UPDATE* Two weeks after making the mix, it’s not so oily now. Maybe I just needed it to settle. This is definitely going to be a staple as winter is approaching. I use this not only for my hair but body as well.
1. Gather ingredients. Peppermint oil, Coconut oil, Jojoba oil, Olive oil and off course shea butter.
2. Put about 2 scoops/ tablespoons of shea on the container. Put water in a pot and boil on low for about five minutes. * This is the mistake I made* I boiled on high. And I heard somewhere that heating in the microwave makes the shea lose some nutrients. Not sure how true that is but, I’m just being safe.
3. After the shea is nice and soft (not too soft like mine though), add your other ingredients, you can use any mix of essential and carrier oils. I don’t really measure how much of each I used, but I pretty much made a 1:1 ratio of shea and coconut oil. Them added like one teaspoon of the carrier oils and a lot of peppermint oil (until I could smell the more peppermint that shea).
4. After all the ingredients are in one boil, use a mixer for about one minute on high setting or until the mixture is as thick as you would like.
5. Ok so when you’re done mixing this is what it’ll look like! you see how it’s still kinda liquidy. I put mine in the freezer for about 30mins so it can firm up but unfortunately, I don’t have a photo of that.
I hope this was helpful to anyone trying to make a mix for the first time. Or if you’re a mix master, leave a comment with some tips of how you mix your shea.
PS. I ordered my shea and coconut oil from Amazon. I bought jojoba and peppermint oil from GNC and olive oil from my pantry haha jk you can get that at a grocery store.
- Summer Hair Care: Ayurvedic (kweenb.wordpress.com)